General Information for Undergraduate Students (Hall Application for 2019/20)
Applying for undergraduate housing? The application process is very straight-forward, so don't worry. Applications are assessed by a UG Hall Selection Committee based on the hall admission policies approved by the University. Applicants are selected on their ability to enrich hall life and participation in hall activities is highly encouraged.
If you would like to know more, have a look at our UG Hall Allocation Policy.
Want to know more about the different types of applications? Have a look below:
- By completing and submitting the online application form for student accommodation in the residential year, applicants certified that they have read, understood, and agreed to comply with all the terms and conditions of the application;
- Provision of false and/or incomplete information in the application form will lead to disqualification of the application including subsequent hall application(s);
- All applications will be assessed by the UG Hall Selection Committee consisting of Residence Masters and student representatives based on the hall admission policies approved by the University.
- Applicants are required to submit their online housing application during the application period. The online application system will be closed from 3am to 4am (HK Time) daily.
- All residents are required to vacate the student halls by the end of their hall offer period as stated in their hall offer letters. A penalty of HK$100 per person per night on top of the normal nightly rate of hall charges will be levied on those who fail to observe the check-out date.
- Hall Assistants will clear all personal belongings of those residents who do not check out as required and neither the University nor the Hall Management will be responsible for any loss or damage of personal properties arising from such uncooperative behavior.
- Residents who check out before the latest check-out time will be considered as early termination of their offered hall residence; no refund of paid hall fees shall be arranged.
- Student bed rooms are provided to the assigned residents for personal residence ONLY. Use of the student bed rooms for other purposes, such as storage or allowing other persons to stay in the room, is prohibited and the bed space of the resident concerned will be recovered and hall charges will be forfeited.
- Trading or private transfer of hall place is strictly forbidden. All reports of trading or private transfer of hall places will be investigated and penalties will be levied on the students involved. Penalties include immediate recovery of the hall place offered, forfeiture of hall charges paid as well as further disciplinary action imposed by the University.
- Any past residential disciplinary records will be brought to the attention of the UG Hall Selection Committee for deliberation and consideration on the validity of students’ applications for UG student housing.
- The UG Hall Selection Committee has the right to disqualify applications for UG student housing without prior notification.
- All successful applicants are required to abide by the Terms and Conditions and Rules and Regulations for Hall Residence as stipulated in the Resident’s Handbook and in SHRL website.
The number of hall places available in each student hall is as follows:
^ Toilets and bathrooms in Apartment-Type Double Rooms in Jockey Club Hall are shared by 8 residents
# Toilets and bathrooms in Apartment-Type Single Rooms in UG Halls VIII and IX are shared by 6 residents
@ Toilets and bathrooms in Single Rooms in UG Hall VII are shared by 2 residents
* Toilets and bathrooms in Double Rooms in UG Halls VII, VIII and IX are shared by 4 residents
More about individual halls, please click here.
There are popularly elected student groups in our student halls to organize various student activities for their hall residents. They work with the Hall Tutors, Residential Life Officers, and the Residence Masters to cultivate a fun, enriching and rewarding hall living experience.
- House Students’ Associations, HKUSTSU: UG Halls I to V
- Connection Team: UG Hall VI
- Leadership Team: UG Hall VII
- Organizing Teams: UG Halls VIII and IX
Hall residents are expected to be committed to campus and hall life. There are various residential programs in UG Halls:
- Residence Master-led Orientation
- First Year Experience @Residence Program
- Green Hall Program
- Green Trekker Program
- Hall Language Buddy Program
- Hall Fellow Music Program
- Living Learning Communities
- Weekly Sharing Sessions
More information about the student groups and residential programs is available here.
Each room is air-conditioned, and furnished with desks, chairs, bookshelves, beds (no bedding), wardrobes and a mini-fridge. Common facilities include showers, toilets, common rooms with TVs, pantries, microwaves, telephones, and student card-operated washing machines and dryers.
Students can connect to the internet in their rooms through the HKUST network with a LAN cable or connecting with Wi-Fi. Air-conditioners and washing machines are operated by HKUST student ID cards. Upon program registration and obtaining your student cards, you can charge up your cards at Add Value Machines (AVM) in the campus.
Personal information collected from applicants will be used for the admission exercise for hall residence, related hall activities and hall residence related matters, and kept as resident re4cords for administrative purposes.