Safety and security is always a major concern and has been accorded with high priority. Keep the followings in mind to enjoy a safe and secure hall life.
- Hall Access: Residents can gain access at the main entrance of each Hall by HKUST Card. You should keep your HKUST card in good condition and report to the Security Centre of University immediately if the card is lost. You maybe asked to show HKUST Card to the staff for identity check.
- Room Safety: Keep your valuables locked. Do not leave any valuable items unattended to. Lock your door whenever you leave your room.
- Visitors: Visitors can visit from 9am to 11pm and must be accompanied by the host resident during the entire visit. Register your visitor at the Service Counter when entering and leaving the hall. No overstaying is allowed without prior approval from the Residence Master.
- Proper Use of Electrical Appliances: Read the instructions carefully to prevent any potential hazards caused by misuse. For example, do not overload or put non-garment into washing machine, proper use of the microwave oven and vacuum cleaner.
- No-Smoking Campus: the university is a smoke-free campus. Please respect everybody in the communities.
When hearing the fire alarm
1) Keep calm.
2) Bring along with your mobile, SID card, room key and mask (under pandemic circumstances). Close your door without bringing any luggage. HOWEVER, in case of REAL FIRE, you should always consider your own SAFETY FIRST.
3) Protect yourself from fire and smoke.
4) Identify the source and nature of fire. Then activate the fire alarm by breaking the break-glass nearby and yell “FIRE”.
5) Evacuate to the designated assembly point (route posted on lift lobby of each floor) via the nearest safe stairway and fire exits. Never use the lift for evacuation.
6) In case of a small fire! Try to put it out by using suitable firefighting equipment (such as fire extinguisher & hose reel), if safe to do so!
7) Queue up according to your floor number. Report your attendance to your Hall Tutor and wait patiently for announcement to dismiss.
8) Maintain social distancing and keep quiet.
Fire drill exercise
Fire drill exercise takes place in the beginning of each term, which aims at raising the safety awareness of residents.
- Be familiar with all the fire escape routes in advance. The routes are shown on the floor plan posted below in the Lift Lobby on your floor. Study them carefully and know where to assemble after you evacuate to the open area.
- Fire alarm bells will sound continuously in case of real fire or fire drill. Upon hearing a continuous alarm, evacuate from the building at once.
- CO-OPERATE with hall staff and FOLLOW THEIR INSTRUCTIONS during the exercise.
- To protect your personal properties, remember to lock up your rooms before you leave. Neither the Hall Management nor the Security Office will be responsible for any loss or damage of personal properties.
- After evacuation, the Fire Drill commander, i.e. your Residential Life Officer will check the resident rooms. Residents found inside the building not participating in the fire drill WILL BE ASKED to show his/her identity and GIVE EXPLANATION.
- In case you have visitor in the hall at the night of the drill, he or she is ALSO REQUIRED to participate in the fire drill.
- Nobody can foretell when a fire will happen. Please take the exercise seriously. Participation is very important as this is to protect your own lives. Do not attempt to stay in your rooms or skip the exercise since it will be useless to regret after an accident happens. If you have any physical problems / serious sickness, please let the Hall Office know so that we can take care of you during the drill.